Alternative Approaches Comparison
Traditional Litigation Model
- Both parties rely on the court system and the judge or judges to resolve their family disputes.
- Often you come to view each other as adversaries and the courthouse as the battle ground.
- The conflict takes an immense toll on emotions, finances and the well-being of your family.
- This is an alternative dispute resource often used within the litigation framework.
- While it can be very effective, it still employs the adversarial process.
- It does not have the transparency of the collaborative process.
- It does not use the team approach.
Collaborative Law Process
- This is a non-adversarial approach.
- The focus is not on who is to blame, but on how to solve your family’s issues.
- You and your spouse work together with your respective lawyers and the professional team to achieve a mutual settlement outside the courthouse.
- The Collaborative Law Process eases the emotional and financial strains of the family.